An April Fool's Day Reminder: Department Of Aging Advises Seniors On How To Avoid Scams
HARRISBURG, Pa., April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Department of Aging is recognizing April Fools' Day by providing Pennsylvania's older adults with advice to help avoid being "fooled" by fraud and scams.
April 1 is often associated with harmless pranks and good-natured jokes, but crimes targeting older people are a real issue that hurt many innocent people. Though financial exploitation is a crime that can be punishable by law, it is often hard to retrieve stolen money from the criminals. The best way to ensure you or a loved one's finances are safe is to stop fraud before it happens.
Some tips to help recognize a suspicious and possibly fraudulent situation:
- Respond cautiously to in-person, mail, Internet or solicitations.
- Avoid persons who ask for money unless you purchased or bought a product or service from them
- Be cautious of any deal that sounds too good to be true
If you believe you have been contacted by a suspicious person or entity, this type activity could be considered a potential abuse.Any person who believes that an older adult is being abused, neglected, exploited or abandoned may call the statewide elder abuse hotline at 1-800-490-8505, which is open 24 hours a day, or the local Area Agency on Aging. If you have concerns about the quality of care an older person is receiving from a facility or a caregiver, please call your local Area Agency on Aging for guidance. For more information about the Department of Aging's protective services program and other resources, please visit: www.aging.state.pa.us Media contacts: Christina Reese, Dept. of Aging; 717-783-1550 SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Aging
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV