Kayaker Discovers New Species Of Shark In Puget Sound
SEATTLE, April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is being issued by Redfin Corporation and is an acknowledged spoof release. The following news is not factual and should not be reported on as such.
Redfin, a technology-powered real estate brokerage, today announced it has adopted a newly discovered species of shark - the Pacific Redfin Shark - as its new mascot. On March 28 Tom Vogl, a Redfin employee, discovered the shark while fishing in the Puget Sound.
"I wanted to take advantage of some of the sunshine we've been getting so I decided to take my kayak out on the sound. About a mile off of Bainbridge Island I saw a red fin bobbing above the water. It didn't look like anything I had ever seen before, so I immediately snapped some photos. To my surprise, the shark actually followed me home," Vogl said.Area biologists studied the shark and determined that it was a previously unidentified species, which they named Epalzeorhynchos rube r, or Redfin Shark. The shark is roughly ten feet long and features a bright red dorsal fin and an elongated, dark-black and greenish body. It is thought to have evolved from Epalzeorhynchos frenatus, known as the Rainbow Shark, which is much smaller in size. "We were so excited to hear one of our employees discovered a new species, and just couldn't believe our luck when it turned out to have Redfin in the name," said Glenn Kelman, CEO of Redfin. Redfin plans to feature the Redfin Shark in a national multi-media campaign, which will include television advertisements, branding, and appearances. Redfin is also planning to sponsor at least three days of Shark Week 2013, with the Pacific Redfin as the star. The shark is currently residing in Vogl's large salt water pool, where it is available for viewing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV