DALLAS, April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new synchronous step-down DC/DC converter with integrated MOSFETs in a very small 3.5-mm by 3.5-mm HotRod™ QFN package. The SWIFT™ 10-A TPS54020 features the highest power density and includes frequency synchronization, 180-degree out-of-phase switching and selectable current limit to power FPGAs, system-on-chip (SoC), DSPs and processors in high-voltage, space-constrained communication, gaming and industrial computing applications. Using the converter together with TI's WEBENCH® online design tool simplifies high-voltage DC/DC conversion and speeds the design process. For more information and samples, visit www.ti.com/tps54020-pr.
The new HotRod integrated circuit package protects the integrated MOSFETs from parasitic inductance and allows low resistance, enabling high current and efficiency and small size. The thermally enhanced, 15-lead package is 50 percent smaller than similar offerings.
The TPS54020 joins TI's point-of-load DC/DC converter family, which includes the 6-A TPS54623 in a 3-mm by 3-mm QFN package, and the 12-A LM21212-1 and 15-A LM21215 converters, offered in a thermally enhanced eTSSOP-20 exposed pad package.
Key features and benefits of the TPS54020 DC/DC converter
- Integrated 8-milliohm high-side and 6-milliohm low-side MOSFETs provide up to 96-percent efficiency from 12 V to 1 V.
- Selectable 6-A, 8-A and 10-A current limit thresholds allow optimization for efficiency at a lower output current, while reducing the size of external components.
- 180-degree out-of-phase switching reduces input current ripple by up to 50 percent.
- 200-KHz to 1.2-MHz adjustable switching frequency supports small output inductors and capacitors for further space savings.
- Order samples and an evaluation board of the new DC/DC converter: www.ti.com/tps54020-pr.
- Design a complete power management system online with TI's WEBENCH Power Designer: www.ti.com/webenchpwr-pr.
- Get more information on all of TI's SWIFT DC/DC converters: http://www.ti.com/swift-pr.
- Ask questions and share knowledge in the power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/powerforum-pr.
- Download power reference designs from TI's PowerLab™ Reference Design Library: www.ti.com/powerlab-pr.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts