"The government didn't cause that loss, it simply recognized it," Frank argued.
On the other hand, he said he has "little sympathy with the vultures," and he questions their ability to use the fifth amendment to profit from their investment.
"We didn't take any of their property. They're buying up property that we've taken from other people. I don't know enough about takings law to tell you what the answer is on that. I would say this: I wouldn't take it before a jury if I were they."
I asked Frank if he considered hedge funds unsympathetic, and he responded, "No. Vultures are unsympathetic. Oh my god. Look at poor me. I bought this stuff up at eight cents on the dollar and they won't give me the dollar back."-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV