NEW YORK, April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morgans Hotel Group Co. (NASDAQ: MHGC) ("Morgans" or the "Company"), the New York-based hospitality management company, today announced that it has signed agreements with The Yucaipa Companies (" Yucaipa") to cancel Yucaipa's interests in the Company's convertible notes, preferred stock and stock warrants in exchange for the Company's ownership interests in Delano South Beach and The Light Group. This marks the culmination of a 15-month exploration process by a Special Committee of the Board to review strategic alternatives.
The Company will continue to operate Delano South Beach pursuant to a long-term management agreement. In addition, the agreements provide that the Company will launch a $100 million rights offering available to all Morgans' shareholders, which Yucaipa will backstop at no-fee should the rights not be exercised in full. The combined transactions will reduce Morgans' debt and preferred stock obligations by $230 million, which includes the elimination of $113 million of debt maturing in 2014. In addition, after retiring the credit facility secured by Delano South Beach, which currently has $35 million of outstanding obligations, the Company projects it will have $65 million of cash remaining from the rights offering.
"This is a transformative deal that will significantly improve our financial position and accelerate the strategic development of our business," said Michael Gross, CEO of Morgans. "The asset swaps and rights offering will dramatically strengthen our balance sheet, significantly reduce our debt obligations and risk profile, and also eliminate significant near-term maturities. In addition, the cancellation of the preferred stock and warrants will result in a simplified and more flexible capital structure for our shareholders."
Mr. Gross also noted: "We are announcing this important deal in the context of strong momentum in our business. We expect first quarter System-Wide Comparable RevPAR to be up 16% to 18%, which is the highest rate of growth since the first quarter of 2007, and at Hudson we expect room revenue to be up around 40%. We are also seeing increased interest from development partners in our target regions and expect to announce new management and branding agreements in the coming months. With the recent opening of Delano Marrakech, the completion of Hudson's room renovations and eight new hotels projected to open in the next three years, we are excited about our ability to expand our business and increase shareholder value."Under the agreements, Morgans will transfer its ownership interests in Delano South Beach and The Light Group (including its obligations under $18 million in promissory notes) to Yucaipa in exchange for the cancellation of the following securities held by Yucaipa:
- $88 million principal amount of the Company's 2.375% Senior Subordinated Convertible Notes due 2014;
- 75,000 shares of the Company's Series A Preferred Securities, with an accumulated preference amount of $99 million; and
- Warrants to acquire 12.5 million shares of the Company's common stock at $6.00 per share until April 2017.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV