The hardware Microsoft brings to market -- PCs, tablets, smartphones (whether they make it themselves or not) -- needs to be compelling enough to have a chance to be better than the rest. An adequately stocked app store is expected on a mobile device; a bit like having a keypad from which to make a phone call. Microsoft needs to build a true ecosystem that connects its moving parts. Given Steve Ballmer's poor treatment of Xbox, there's no reason to expect anything but more words and even less action.
--Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV