Oh, and yes, there's the J.C. Penney (JCP) angle. Manny confirmed that it is awful for regular PVH, the premium brands, but it is terrific for the IZOD store-within-a-store heritage brands, which is performing on plan. Still, Penney, with its down-30% sales, cost PVH $40 million. One can only imagine how much it cost JCP. Penney, of course, is what makes Macy's a tough short off the weather. It still seems zero-sum.
In all, it was a jarring quarter coming on top of what people think was a weak one for Five Below (FIVE), which was just being cautious in its guidance. Total speed bump. But PVH? It's a reset and a reminder that PVH, alas, doesn't sell cereal or bleach, it sells fashion -- and fashion, by its nature, can go out of style.
Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV