Gen X isn't really much different than its predecessors in this regard. It got older, its ideals changed, money rolled in, maybe some kids came along, maybe those kids got a They Might Be Giants children's album or two and saw Dischord Records head and Minor Threat and Fugazi founder Ian McKaye sing them a song on Pancake Mountain. Maybe one superhero film or Bruno Mars song too many sent them diving for shelter, and maybe all the Bush and Obama hate made them want to hug a picture of Bill Clinton or at least wish Phil Hartman was still around to play him on Saturday Night Live.
Whatever backstory it chooses, Gen X seems resigned to its fate as an IV bag for a slowly fading pre-Internet pop culture industry. When Record Store Day comes in April, it'll jump in and pick up a new release from a familiar name or an old favorite it tossed when it ripped all its CDs to MP3s. When two versions of Black Flag tour this summer, it'll briefly debate whether it should see the one with Greg Ginn, the one with Chuck Dukowski or wait until one with Henry Rollins, Dez Cadena, Robo and Kira Roessler forms. Then they'll go see it just like they saw the Gorilla Biscuits reunion show before that, and the 7 Seconds reunion show before that, and the Lifetime show before that one.
Maybe they'll take the kids to see T-Rex in 3-D, but even if they think it's a rip-off and don't want to shell out for the gimmickry, it's OK. Universal Studios understands. It'll have Jurrasic Park 4 ready to go in June.
-- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV