The Resurgent Dollar Could Hurt S&P 500 Earnings
Utility stocks have risen 5.1 percent in the past month, the second-best performing industry group in the S&P 500.
BIGGER GAINS FOR THE SMALL
Smaller companies make fewer sales overseas than large multinationals, so they aren't affected as much by the strengthening dollar, says Phil Orlando, chief equity strategist at Federated Investors.
The Russell 2000 Index, which tracks small companies, has risen 12 percent since the start of the year, outperforming the 10 percent advance for the S&P 500.Gains in small companies have been led by health care stocks like Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, which has risen 170 percent since the start of the year, and Coronado Biosciences, which is up 116 percent. WIDER BENEFITS A gradually strengthening dollar is good for the stock market as a whole, and will outweigh the initial impact on earnings, says David Bianco, the head of U.S. equity strategy for Deutsche Bank. As the dollar rises it lowers the cost of imports, holding down inflation. That, in turn, makes it easier for the Federal Reserve to keep interest rates low. Because investors love the stability that low interest rates and tame inflation bring, they will be more willing to own stocks. That will push up stock prices even if corporate earnings don't increase, Bianco says. Deutsche Bank analysts forecast that the dollar will strengthen to $1.20 against the euro by the end of the year, or about 7 percent, from its current level of $1.29. By the end of next year, they see the dollar strengthening to $1.15 against the euro. "I'd welcome a stronger dollar," says Bianco. "It contains the risk of any surge in interest rates, or inflation risk."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV