Nevada Jobless Rate Falls To 9.6 Percent
By SANDRA CHEREB
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) â¿¿ Nevada's jobless rate dropped to 9.6 percent in February, down from 11.8 percent a year ago and marking the biggest year-over-year decrease among states, the Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation reported Friday.
February's unemployment rate is the lowest since December 2008, said Bill Anderson, chief economist with the state agency.
Gov. Brian Sandoval said he was pleased with the "improving overall direction of the state's economy.""Unemployment is trending down, jobs are moving in a positive direction and for the first time in more than a decade, women account for almost 46 percent of the total labor force," Sandoval said in a statement. "Many Nevadans, however, are still feeling the pain of our protracted recession and with 132,000 citizens among the unemployed, much work remains to be done." The number of unemployed is a decrease of 600 from January and 31,200 from February 2012, the report said. In Las Vegas, the unadjusted rate was 9.8 percent, down from 12.1 percent a year ago and 10.2 percent in January. The unemployment rate in the Reno-Sparks area fell to 10.1 percent, down from 12.2 percent in February 2012 and 10.5 percent the previous month. Likewise, unemployment fell in Carson City to 10.7 percent, a more than 2 percentage point drop from last year. Nationally, the seasonally adjusted national rate is 7.7 percent. While the report was positive, Anderson said for the first time in six months the state lost jobs, with a seasonally adjusted decline of 5.500. Of those 4,700 were in the private sector, while 800 were government jobs. Anderson explained that February typically brings a job burst of about 6,100 jobs from January. "This year, however, just 600 jobs were added, resulting in the seasonally adjusted decline. Still, over-the-year jobs are up by 23,800," Anderson said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV