Texas Unemployment Rate Ticks Upward
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) â¿¿ State officials say the Texas unemployment rate rose slightly in February to 6.4 percent but add that leading industries continue to show growth.
The rate is an increase from 6.3 percent in January and 6.1 percent in December. The Texas Workforce Commission reports Friday the state added 80,600 jobs in February, bringing the total seasonally adjusted, nonfarm jobs added over the last year to 359,800.
The state unemployment rate remains well below the 7.1 percent recorded in February 2012. It's also below the latest national rate of 7.7 percent.
Officials say state industries such as construction and manufacturing added 21,200 jobs in February. Employment in professional and business services rose by 25,400 jobs.The Midland area recorded the lowest unemployment rate in February at 3.2 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV