Best Western Opens Hotel In Impoverished Haiti
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) â¿¿ A U.S. hotel chain opened a hotel in Haiti on Thursday for the first time in 15 years.
Best Western International has completed construction on a $15 million, seven-story hotel that features 106 guest rooms and several suites.
The towering facility is located in the hillside district of Petionville and is targeted at the business traveler.
The new hotel is part of a larger hotel boom in Haiti that has taken hold since the earthquake in 2010 destroyed thousands of buildings.To date, developers are building or planning at least seven hotels and many hope that the businesses will create thousands of jobs in a country where unemployment hovers around 60 percent. Together, the projects add up to more than a $100 million investment. In December, the Royal Oasis, run by Spanish firm Occidental Hotel & Resorts, opened as an upscale hotel a few blocks from the Best Western Premier now stands. The Marriott International, also in December, began construction on a $45 million hotel that's scheduled to open in 2015. Even before the earthquake, which officials say destroyed more than 800 hotel rooms, it was difficult to find hotels in Haiti that met international standards. Those that did were often filled with diplomats and humanitarian workers. The last U.S. hotel chain to run a hotel in Haiti was the Holiday Inn. It closed in 1998 because of political instability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV