In the news release, Belk Announces More Than
in Charitable Contributions, issued
by Belk, Inc. over PR Newswire, we are advised by the company that the second paragraph, first sentence, should read "since our founding in 1888" rather than "since our founding in 1988" as originally issued inadvertently. The complete, corrected release follows:
Belk Announces More Than $19.3 Million in Charitable Contributions
March 29, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Belk, Inc. announced today that the company, and its associates, customers and vendors contributed more than
to local communities in the fiscal year ending
January 31, 2013
. Of the total amount, Belk corporate dollars funded
to more than 250 nonprofit organizations, with a focus on education, breast cancer research and awareness, and community strengthening. The remainder of the funding includes associate, vendor and customer dollars raised in Belk-led charitable initiatives, including Belk Charity Sale.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click
"Being a part of our communities and meeting local needs has been an integral part of the Belk philosophy since our founding in 1888, and it continues to be one of our core values today," said
, Belk vice president of communications and community relations. "We are grateful to our customers and our associates for their contributions to our efforts, which allow our efforts to have an even greater impact."
Key gifts in fiscal year 2013 included:
- More than $10 million to almost 8,000 local charities through Belk's semi-annual Charity Sale.
- More than $1.2M, including corporate and associate dollars, to local United Way chapters across Belk's 16-state footprint.
- $1.1 million to Susan G. Komen, which includes corporate, associate and customer dollars to fund breast cancer research and awareness efforts across the Belk footprint.
- More than $500,000, including customer and associate contributions, to the American Heart Association.
Key additional gifts from Belk, Inc. included:
- $6 million multi-year commitment, through the Foundation of the Carolinas, to fund the Belk Gives On The Go Mobile Mammography Center (belk.com/pink).
- $2 million commitment to Points of Light to fund Belk's 125 Days of Service, which will provide more than 225 makeovers to Title One schools across the company's footprint.
- $1.5 million commitment over three years, through the International Society for Technology in Education, to fund the Belk Service Learning Challenge (belkservicelearningchallenge.com).
- $750,000 to the Belk Foundation to assist in its efforts to ensure all students receive a quality public education.
- $200,000 commitment over two years of Major League Baseball's Civil Rights Game in Atlanta, G.A.
- More than $185,000 to support the work of Junior Leagues throughout the Southeast.
- $110,000 to the American Red Cross to support disaster relief efforts.
- $50,000 to support the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Scholarship Fund.
In addition, Belk supported almost a dozen fashion shows to raise money in for charities in local communities, as well as numerous fundraising events at store level.