Short interest figures for mid-March were released after the close on Tuesday, and below we highlight the 25 stocks in the S&P 1500 that have the highest short interest as a percentage of float. As shown, the top five most heavily shorted stocks in the S&P 1500 are all in the S&P 600 small cap index. Topping the list is Blyth (BTH), which has more than 80% of its float sold short. Coinstar (CSTR) is the second most heavily shorted stock with 51.4% of its float sold short.
With a total of eighteen stocks, small caps make up the vast majority of names on the list, which is typical. Of the remaining seven non-small cap stocks on the list, three are mid-caps and four are large caps. JC Penney (JCP) is probably the most notable (or notorious) stock on the list as that company just can't seem to catch a break. With 40% of the float sold short, the trade is certainly pretty crowded.
Reposted from Bespoke Investment Group
Covestor Ltd. is a registered investment advisor. Covestor licenses investment strategies from its Model Managers to establish investment models. The commentary here is provided as general and impersonal information and should not be construed as recommendations or advice. Information from Model Managers and third-party sources deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Transaction histories for Covestor models available upon request. Additional important disclosures available at http://site.covestor.com/help/disclosures. For information about Covestor and its services, go to http://covestor.com or contact Covestor Client Services at (866) 825-3005, x703.The post 25 stocks in the crosshairs of short-sellers appeared first on Smarter Investing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV