Baseball's 5 Worst Interleague 'Rivalries'
Seattle Mariners vs. San Diego Padres
At no time was this ever a good idea. Ever.
These teams are more than 1,200 miles away from each other. They've never played in a World Series together -- or, in the Mariners' case, ever. They're rarely good at the same time and, lately, have been mediocre at best.The Mariners haven't made the playoffs since winning a record 116 games in 2001 and losing to the Yankees in the American League Championship series. Since then, they've had seven losing seasons and have seen every star player not named Felix Hernandez take off for literally and figuratively sunnier climates. The Padres, meanwhile, last made the World Series in 1998 -- when they were swept by the Yankees -- and have won exactly one playoff game since, in 2006. They've spent the past two seasons mired under .500 and have also watched stars such as Jake Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez scuttle out of town. Is this a rivalry worth driving 19 hours to watch? Worth a flight? Worth a decent May weekend? No, it's a geographical anomaly for Major League Baseball and a conundrum for two teams that, all things considered, would probably prefer their own four-game series with the Yanks this year instead. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV