5 Best Cities for Short Sales
Fourth-best metro area for short sales: Grand Rapids, Mich.
Percent increase in short sales: 81%
Late President Gerald Ford's hometown saw a big jump in short sales during the fourth quarter, and Blomquist suspects that's because 37% of Michigan mortgage borrowers are "underwater."
Underwater consumers owe more on their mortgages than their homes are worth, so they can sell properties only though short sales or by ponying up cash to cover their deficits.
In Grand Rapids, a 1-million-person metro area in the state's southwest region, short sales sold for $91,145 on average in the fourth quarter. That's a $53,158 discount from their owners' remaining mortgage debts.
Third-best metro area for short sales: Fresno, Calif.
Percent increase in short sales: 97%
Located in the heart of California's agricultural Central Valley, Fresno has seen falling home prices and lots of foreclosures in recent years.
Percent increase in short sales: 106%
Like nearby Fresno, Visalia has seen declining prices and plenty of foreclosures during the bust. But again, Blomquist says that makes the 452,000-population metro area a good choice for bargain hunters. "The Central Valley markets have been bouncing back and there's actually a shortage of
Percent increase in short sales: 107%
Median house prices in upscale Santa Barbara County peaked at $878,000 in 2007 during the housing boom, then tumbled to just $297,000 a mere 20 months later. Blomquist says that's left the metro area, a desirable coastal community some 95 miles northwest of Los Angeles, with lots of distressed properties. "Homeowners can get in over their heads even in very high-end markets," he says. The typical Santa Barbara-area short sale sold during the fourth quarter for only $283,825. That's $178,201 below the property's remaining mortgage balance./p>
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV