Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that The Priceline Group, a leader in global online hotel reservations, is leveraging Platform Equinix™ to scale its operations rapidly and meet the growing demands of the online travel industry. Through the utilization of a virtualized architecture in Equinix’s DC6 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Ashburn, Virginia, Priceline has reduced its server count by 40 percent and achieved a 50 percent reduction in power consumption since deploying at Equinix. As a result of the deployment, Priceline has also improved its response time significantly.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Prior to turning to Equinix, one of Priceline’s two U.S. infrastructure deployments was housed in a Tier 1+ colocation facility that had a number of limitations including a lack of key redundancy features, required power density and a peering fabric.
- Priceline needed to expand its infrastructure to continue to scale its business and wanted a modern data center facility that offered geographic separation from its existing site. The company was looking for a provider with a Tier 3 or better rating, carrier neutrality with access to the top telecommunication players and the ability to develop internet peering relationships.
- Platform Equinix provides Priceline with a global footprint of IBX data centers, and the ability to connect with partners and customers via Equinix’s business ecosystems and a global marketplace. Together these components help Priceline accelerate its business by safeguarding its infrastructure, improving performance and enabling peering with the widest variety of partners.
- Priceline is also deployed with Equinix in London and is currently migrating to a large suite in Equinix’s newest IBX in Slough.
- The Priceline Group includes Booking.com, priceline.com, Agoda.com and Rentalcars.com and provides online travel services to more than 180 countries in Europe, North America, South America, the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa.
- Ken Jones, senior vice president of technology operations, The Priceline Group: “After visiting Equinix’s facilities in Washington D.C., New Jersey and London, we were convinced that Equinix was the data center provider for us, particularly given such benefits as best-in-class colocation and carrier neutrality. In the Ashburn facility, for example, we are a cross connect away from peering with more than 150 partners. The Equinix data center campus environment also allows us to scale quickly without needing to excessively over-provision for the future.”
- Chris Sharp , general manager, cloud and content for Equinix: “The Priceline Group has found in Equinix a global provider that is able to support its global expansion while also achieving reduced application response times, increased access to carrier and peering partners and easy deployment in our highly secure facilities. With 105 data centers in 38 major business markets, Equinix is the right choice for companies such as Priceline to rapidly deploy a scalable, global footprint while maintaining our premium standards of performance, reliability, security and network choice.”
Keyword TagsEquinix, data center, IBX, colocation, Priceline