Goodreads is known for linking friends and like-minded readers into online communities of book enthusiasts. No wonder Amazon, the world's largest online bookseller, was hot to buy it. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
Seattle-based Amazon said Goodreads, which was founded in 2007, will remain in San Francisco. The Web site has more than 16 million members which have formed more than 30,000 book clubs.
The deal is expected to close in the second quarter.Written by Leon Lazaroff in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV