NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While most market strategists and fundamental analysts are raising their year-end price targets for the S&P 500, I am not. I say we have reached my first-half target, my semiannual risky level at 1566.9. I predict the S&P 500 will decline to my annual value level at 1348.3 at some point by year's end.
While Wall Street tells investors that "no one can time the market," I say you can time the market! I have found that it is easier to be a market timer at a bottom than at a market top, however. This is why my current suggested investment strategy has been to raise cash to at least 50% on strength to risky levels.
In reality, fundamental analysts are trying to time the market when they raise year-end price targets, and they are calling for additional upward momentum when they call for P/E multiple-expansion.
Here's a summary of my major market-timing calls since the end of 1999:At the end of 1999, with the Nasdaq at 4069, I made a market-timing call saying that I did not know how high the Nasdaq can go in 2000, but the Nasdaq will decline into the 3500 to 3000 range sometime during the year.
In March 2000, with the Nasdaq above 5000, I told investors to reduce holdings in tech stocks by at least 50%. The high was 5132 and I re-iterated my call for Nasdaq 3500 to 3000 by the end of that year. The low in May 2000 was 3043, then after a rebound to 4289 into July, the Nasdaq traded as low as 2252 in December 2000. My next major market-timing call was to be bullish for the Nasdaq beginning in July in 2002 with the Nasdaq below 1200. I reiterated this bullish call in October 2002 with a Nasdaq low of 1109 that month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV