1. Time Warner
Time Warner (TWX) is the parent company of shining star Home Box Office, or HBO, the premium-cable channel where "Game of Thrones" airs on Sunday nights and on demand offerings.
"Game of Thrones" follows a long line of successful and innovative original television series originally aired on the pay subscription service, including "Sex in the City," "Wired," "Six Feet Under," "Entourage," "The Sopranos" and "Boardwalk Empire." The show has won many Emmy awards.The media conglomerate, which also moves across media verticals, including movies, network television and publishing, owns Warner Bros., Time Inc. and Turner Broadcasting. ( Time Warner Cable (TWC) split from parent company Time Warner in 2009.) But of course, the future of the company is how it translates to the digital age. The company announced plans earlier this month to spin off its Time Inc. division. Specifically within HBO, the network is looking to hook up with technology hubs to help move the network into the mobile age. Earlier this month, HBO hosted "Game of Thrones" season-premiere parties in Silicon Valley and Seattle, according to the Los Angeles Times . The network is also promoting its digital-streaming service, HBO Go. But so far, the service is only available to subscribers of the HBO channel. The streaming service offers a way for viewers to watch their favorite HBO shows via smartphone or tablet, and has been enticing viewers to use the service by putting shows on HBO Go before cable, the LA Times article says. Time Warner's stock hit a new 52-week high on Thursday, topping out at $58.02 during intraday trading and closing up 1.7%. The shares have risen 20% this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV