Redesigning Detroit: A New Vision For An Iconic Site
DETROIT, March 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Rock Ventures LLC today announced more details for Opportunity Detroit's international design competition soliciting ideas for a signature project proposed for the historic Hudson's Department Store site. Opportunity Detroit is hosting a free, open call for architects, designers, planners, artists, and community members to present ideas for innovative, creative, and inspired designs for the future use of one of the city's most beloved locations.
"We want participants to use their imaginations and submit visionary proposals with inspiring ideas that could play an important role in the redevelopment of not only the Hudson's site, but all of downtown Detroit," said Reed Kroloff, Director of the Cranbrook Academy of Art and Art Museum and competition advisor.
According to Kroloff the competition is seeking proposals that:
- Demonstrate original architecture and design concepts
- Present an innovative vision for the site
- Incorporate space for significant retail activity at ground level
- Provide a creative response to the site's urban context – particularly as a signature project in downtown Detroit
"Much as Hudson's served as an icon for downtown Detroit in its day, we envision that this competition will generate the ideas and excitement that will bring new energy to Woodward Avenue," said Matt Cullen, President and CEO, Rock Ventures.Registration to participate in the competition begins Thursday, March 28 and ends Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at http://hudsons.opportunitydetroit.com. Design submissions are due no later than 5 pm Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, May 31, 2013. Winners will be announced on June 12, 2013. Entrants are asked to create compelling visions for a new, urban development on the vacant 92,421 square-foot Hudson's site, surrounded by Woodward, Gratiot, Grand River and Library in downtown Detroit. The competition is about the ideas. Winning an award does not imply that an idea will be developed or built. The "Redesigning Detroit" competition will award $15,000 for first prize, $5,000 for second prize and $2,500 for third prize and will culminate with a ceremony in the city and a special exhibition. All questions and communication regarding the competition should be sent via email to RedesigningDetroit@opportunitydetroit.com. The ideas competition will judged by the following experts:
- Deborah Berke, FAIA, LEED AP is the founding partner of Deborah Berke Partners in New York City and is Professor of Architectural Design at Yale University and the first Berkeley-Rupp Visiting Professor of Architecture at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Maurice Cox is the Associate Dean for Community Engagement at the Tulane University School of Architecture and Director of the Tulane City Center, a multi-disciplinary community-based design practice in New Orleans.
- Ned Cramer is editor-in-chief of Architect, Architectural Lighting, and the Architect Product Spec Guide published by Hanley Wood, a Washington, D.C.-based business media company.
- Toni L. Griffin is the Professor of Architecture and the inaugural Director of the J. Max Bond Center on Design for the Just City at the Spitzer School of Architecture at the City College of New York.
- Rip Rapson is president and CEO of The Kresge Foundation, a private foundation based in metropolitan Detroit, where he initiated a multi-year transition to expand and recalibrate Kresge's grantmaking through seven strategically focused programs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV