Therefore, it suggests that they know there is going to be huge demand for these phones from users. BlackBerry management probably is already well aware of how the quarter is going and orders from carriers for the Q10s allows them to make this kind of statement.
It seems to be sand-bagging about next quarter being breakeven. BlackBerry was breakeven this quarter. This was a surprise. They brought back a hint of future guidance to this earnings report by saying that they would be breakeven again next quarter. Yet, it would shock me if the company was not getting a steady increase month-to-month of new phone orders from carriers. With the new savings from their CORE restructuring program, the higher margins from the new devices, the new Q10s coming, I would be shocked if BlackBerry management wasn't sand-bagging on the Fiscal first-quarter profitability. I expect it to be wildly profitable. We will see in the June earnings call.
Licensing deals. The stock has flown up every time there's a rumor of a potential buyout of BlackBerry. These rumors usually seem to involve Lenovo. I think it's unrealistic to expect such a deal, but a joint venture, strategic investment, or licensing deal are all much more palatable and likely to happen as this year rolls on. Possible partners could include:
Mike Lazaridis is now off the board and this could also be a powerful signal to potential buyers that this is a company ready to deal -- instead of one that will stubbornly refuse a fair deal that is offered. There's a valuable subscriber base, intellectual property, new phones, a strong product roadmap for capitalizing on the "Internet of things", and evidence that real customers are willing to drop their Android or iPhone to move to this new platform.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV