Men V Women: The Economic And Financial Divide 2013
As of February 2013, women, generally, are less inclined than men to think that they are currently living comfortably (14% against 20%), with a bigger proportion of women also reporting that money is tight (46% compared with 41%).
It may be an indication of who does the shopping, but women (63%) are more inclined to say that they are spending more or a lot more than a year ago on household groceries than men (56%). More women report they are spending a lot less than a year ago on going out and treating themselves - 25% against 19% - and less or a lot less on clothes (42% against 33%).
Current accounts: Parity for men and womenIn 2002, women were slightly less likely to have a current account than men (82% against 85%), however women have caught up and now both are equally likely to have a current account with 90% of both sexes doing so. Deposit based savings: Women have higher savings balances The typical savings balance held by female customers is £8,211 compared to £7,699 held by men - a difference of £512. Female savers with Halifax have an average balance equivalent to 41% of their average annual gross earnings, whereas men have an average balance of just 23% of their earnings - a difference of 18 percentage points. Men are also more likely to have no savings, with 37% of single men reporting to have none compared with 30% of single women. Savings and Investments: Women more likely to have an ISA but less likely to have share related investments A slightly higher proportion of women (34%) have an ISA than men (31%). But despite having a higher uptake of ISAs, those women with savings in an ISA have a slightly lower balance than men, on average: 2% lower at £8,816 against £8,973. Men are more likely to have share related investments: stocks and shares (14% against 11%), unit trusts (3% against 2%) and company share schemes (3% against 1%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV