5 Technology Acquisition Targets
There is generally a lot of consolidation in the e-commerce space. Like Gilt Groupe, Etsy is a venture-backed company that quickly made a name for itself. With over 25 million members and nearly $900 million in 2012 sales, Etsy's prospects seem promising. Granted, most of that money doesn't go to Etsy. Buyers and sellers convene in an eBay-like fashion.
The popular destination for handmade and vintage goods could easily integrate with a company like eBay (EBAY). Etsy may have raised capital last year at a hefty $600M+ valuation. But with a $68 billion market cap, eBay can afford Etsy. Privco CEO Sam Hamadeh says, "Synergies with Ebay are quite obvious," But Hamadeh warns, "the bigger Etsy gets it will only get more expensive for Ebay, so they should swoop in now." Look to Etsy for a deal. Amazon is another major e-commerce brand that could potentially make a bid.It's also worth noting that CEO Chad Dickerson cast doubt on IPO plans, when he spoke at a PandoMonthly event in January. Although he didn't mention an acquisition, it sounded like he was open to alternative methods of financing, citing concerns about the costs and scrutiny associated with being a public company. Etsy started financing rounds in 2005. If investors aren't provided with returns soon, it's possible they could get antsy with Etsy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV