BURLINGTON, Mass., March 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Lahey Health announced today a major investment in a new state-of-the-art electronic health record (EHR) software that will improve access to patient information and achieve greater care coordination throughout the Lahey Health system.
Lahey Health has signed an agreement with Epic, a worldwide leader in health information technology, to implement the new EHR in a phased approach, which is scheduled to begin in June 2013. With the investment Lahey Health is expected to create more than 100 new jobs for the implementation of the EHR across the system.
"This is major investment in changing the way that that health care is delivered," said Howard Grant, JD, MD, president and chief executive officer, Lahey Health. "It will enable our medical staff, affiliated physicians and other care providers to have secure, streamlined access to comprehensive electronic health information and data for their patients, in real time. It will allow for better and timelier decisions, and it will create efficiencies."
"Most importantly," added Grant, "it will allow patients to become more engaged and more empowered in managing their health because it will allow providers and patients to share access to information."Through Epic, enhanced coordination will occur across Lahey Health's award-winning hospitals, physicians, and comprehensive senior health and behavioral services. Key aspects of the Epic system include:
- Fully integrated systems that enable enhanced coordination of care across the entire continuum
- Enhanced communication among all care providers and their patients
- Complete and accurate information for each care provider and their patients
- Industry best practices that improve efficiency and consistency of care through integrated data and advanced analytics
- Improved patient engagement, service and satisfaction
- Enhanced ability to better manage chronic disease and targeted patient populations
- Dedicated security team to protect patient information