How States Fared On Unemployment Benefit Claims
By The Associated Press
The number of Americans seeking unemployment aid rose last week, though the job market has been improving the past few months.
Applications last week increased by 16,000 to a seasonally adjusted 357,000, the Labor Department reported Thursday. The four-week average, a less volatile measure, rose to 343,000, not much more than the five-year low of 340,750 reported the previous week. Claims are a proxy for layoffs, and they've come down steadily since November.
Here are the states with the biggest changes in unemployment aid applications. The state level data are for the week ended March 16, one week behind the national numbers.States with the biggest increases: California: Up 3,007, due to layoffs in services. Virginia: Up 1,165, due to layoffs in manufacturing. States with the biggest decreases: Pennsylvania: Down 2,497, due to fewer layoffs in the construction, entertainment, lodging and food service, professional, scientific and technology and transportation industries. New York: Down 2,116, due to fewer layoffs in construction, professional services, scientific and technology and transportation industries. Georgia: Down 2,023, due to fewer layoffs in the manufacturing, administrative and support services, construction and trade industries. North Carolina: Down 1,340, due to fewer layoffs in the commercial machinery, computer equipment and construction industries. Ohio: Down 1,192, due to fewer layoffs in manufacturing. Michigan: Down 1,092, due to layoffs across all industries. Kentucky: Down 1,007, no reason given.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV