Analysts seem to be ignoring all this good news in their earnings estimates, as shown at Yahoo! Finance, expecting earnings of $10.18/share for the quarter ending Sunday. Estimates range from a low of $9.23 share to a high of $12, an extremely wide range, with an average sales growth of 9.2% year-over-year.
The problem, we're told, is the iPad Mini, which was introduced last year and aimed at the
Samsung Android "phablet." A phablet can act as both a phone and a tablet. The Mini, while about the same size, is just a tablet. Apple's online store is currently promising to ship one of these units
within 24 hours when you pay the retail price. Apple is also offering quick shipments on the main iPad, adding a unit with 128 Gbytes of storage whose price tops out at $929 with cellular data service.
These don't sound like the moves of a company in trouble. They sound like the moves of a company executing on plan, expanding channels and getting supplies balanced with demand. I would identify trouble as the discounting of product and displays of it piled high in stores.
I suspect Apple's next earnings release may surprise on the upside, and the market reaction to such a surprise will be fun to watch.
At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV