I said that as SPY goes, so go other stocks too -- and Google (GOOG) demonstrates my point. While the degree of Google's price action has varied from SPY a bit, it's clear that the uptrending channel is keeping the search engine giant's shares in check too.
That price channel gives traders a high-probability range for GOOG's price action to stay within. Now Google's shares are testing support at that critical trendline level. When you're looking to buy a stock within a trend channel, buying after a bounce off of support makes sense for two big reasons: It's the spot where shares have the furthest to move up before they hit resistance, and it's the spot where the risk is the least (because shares have the least room to move lower before you know you're wrong). Wait for the bounce in GOOG before you decide to put your money on this trade.
Momentum, measured by Google's 14-day RSI line, has been adding some bullish confirmation to this setup for the past few months. RSI has remained in an uptrend through all of GOOG's corrections this year, and that uptrend is remaining intact now. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's a very good sign for Google bulls.If you deicde to be a buyer here, I'd recommend keeping a a protective stop at the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV