I said that as SPY goes, so go other stocks too -- and Google (GOOG) demonstrates my point. While the degree of Google's price action has varied from SPY a bit, it's clear that the uptrending channel is keeping the search engine giant's shares in check too.
That price channel gives traders a high-probability range for GOOG's price action to stay within. Now Google's shares are testing support at that critical trendline level. When you're looking to buy a stock within a trend channel, buying after a bounce off of support makes sense for two big reasons: It's the spot where shares have the furthest to move up before they hit resistance, and it's the spot where the risk is the least (because shares have the least room to move lower before you know you're wrong). Wait for the bounce in GOOG before you decide to put your money on this trade.
Momentum, measured by Google's 14-day RSI line, has been adding some bullish confirmation to this setup for the past few months. RSI has remained in an uptrend through all of GOOG's corrections this year, and that uptrend is remaining intact now. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's a very good sign for Google bulls.If you deicde to be a buyer here, I'd recommend keeping a a protective stop at the 50-day moving average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV