SPDR S&P 500 ETF
Up first is the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY). This $128 billion exchange-traded fund is a stellar proxy for the broad market, so as SPY goes, so go other stocks too. I've been saying for a while that the rally in 2013 has been orderly -- a quick look at SPY's chart shows what I mean.
SPY has been trading higher in a trend channel since shares made a swing low in November. Even though this fund has seen some big corrections, trend line support has acted as a price floor for this ETF the entire time. That's a very good thing because it gives us a high-probability trading range for shares. SPY is consolidating right now, churning sideways as it burns off some overbought momentum, but buyers have been building strength in the last few weeks.
One key difference between SPY and the S&P 500 index itself is that SPY has already made new record highs. That's largely because SPY, unlike the S&P, is directly investible. That indicates that buyers are still willing to step in and pick up equities at new, higher levels. As SPY nears the low end of its trading range, investors should be looking to buy the dips.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV