"Matching a dog or cat's personality with that of your family is essential," said Steve Dale, certified animal behavior consultant and host of Steve Dale's Pet World radio show. "Before bringing home a new pet, owners should research a breed's energy level and temperament to make sure it matches up with the owners' lifestyle."
* According to the American Veterinary Medical Association
Nutrition Drives Decisions When asked how owners select food for their pets, more than half of dog owners (56 percent) and cat owners (53 percent) indicate nutritional factors as most important.
"This is encouraging, as it shows that owners understand the importance of feeding pets according to their unique nutritional needs," said Mayabb. "Whether they own a pure breed or a mixed-breed, owners should always aim to provide the most precise care and nutrition for their four-legged friends."Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Since Royal Canin believes pets deserve nutrition that's both unique and exceptional, the company offers distinct formulas for some of the most popular breeds of dogs and cats, including:
- Labrador Retriever: puppy and adult formulas help support healthy weight and joints, maintain the Lab's unique waterproof coat and include a unique kibble shape that helps prevent gulping and encourage chewing.
- Yorkshire Terrier: puppy and adult formulas promote healthy growth, stimulate fussy appetites, maintain skin and coat and boast a kibble designed for the Yorkie's fragile jaw.
- English Bulldog: puppy and adult formulas support a sensitive digestive system, promote healthy skin and joints and feature a kibble shape for the dog's unique (brachycephalic) jaw.
- Siamese: features a donut-shaped kibble to encourage chewing and slow ingestion, added protein and fat-burning L-carnitine to promote lean muscle and Omega 6 fatty acids and L-tyrosine to enhance the cat's trademark coat.
- Maine Coon: includes Omega 3, glucosamine and chondroitin to support joints and keep the cat's large body active, Omega 6 to maintain a healthy coat and a king-sized kibble to promote proper ingestion.
- Persian: features Omega 6 with biotin to support a shiny coat, soluble and insoluble fibers to reduce hairballs and an almond-shaped kibble to help the cat grasp and chew its food.