"Matching a dog or cat's personality with that of your family is essential," said Steve Dale, certified animal behavior consultant and host of Steve Dale's Pet World radio show. "Before bringing home a new pet, owners should research a breed's energy level and temperament to make sure it matches up with the owners' lifestyle."
* According to the American Veterinary Medical Association
Nutrition Drives Decisions
When asked how owners select food for their pets, more than half of dog owners (56 percent) and cat owners (53 percent) indicate nutritional factors as most important.
"This is encouraging, as it shows that owners understand the importance of feeding pets according to their unique nutritional needs," said Mayabb. "Whether they own a pure breed or a mixed-breed, owners should always aim to provide the most precise care and nutrition for their four-legged friends."
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition
Since Royal Canin believes pets deserve nutrition that's both unique and exceptional, the company offers distinct formulas for some of the most popular breeds of dogs and cats, including:
- Labrador Retriever: puppy and adult formulas help support healthy weight and joints, maintain the Lab's unique waterproof coat and include a unique kibble shape that helps prevent gulping and encourage chewing.
- Yorkshire Terrier: puppy and adult formulas promote healthy growth, stimulate fussy appetites, maintain skin and coat and boast a kibble designed for the Yorkie's fragile jaw.
- English Bulldog: puppy and adult formulas support a sensitive digestive system, promote healthy skin and joints and feature a kibble shape for the dog's unique (brachycephalic) jaw.
- Siamese: features a donut-shaped kibble to encourage chewing and slow ingestion, added protein and fat-burning L-carnitine to promote lean muscle and Omega 6 fatty acids and L-tyrosine to enhance the cat's trademark coat.
- Maine Coon: includes Omega 3, glucosamine and chondroitin to support joints and keep the cat's large body active, Omega 6 to maintain a healthy coat and a king-sized kibble to promote proper ingestion.
- Persian: features Omega 6 with biotin to support a shiny coat, soluble and insoluble fibers to reduce hairballs and an almond-shaped kibble to help the cat grasp and chew its food.
Royal Canin's breed specific formulas are available at pet specialty stores such as PetSmart and PETCO, as well as independent pet stores nationwide. For more information, and to download a coupon to try the Royal Canin formulas, visit
About Royal Canin USA
is a forerunner of nutritional and technological advancement in dog and cat food. With more than 40 years of experience in the animal health and nutrition industry, the company prides itself on putting knowledge and respect for the animal first. Royal Canin collaborates with nutritionists, breeders and veterinarians from around the world on impartial and relevant research to ensure dogs and cats receive the best nutrition. For more information, find Royal Canin at
About Royal Canin's Best in Breed Survey
Royal Canin's Best in Breed Survey was conducted online
February 27-March 4, 2013
, through Impulse Research Corporation, with a random sample of 500 men and women 18+, who own cats, as well as a random sample of 500 men and women 18+, who own dogs. The overall sampling error rate for this survey is +/-3% at the 95% level of confidence.
For more information, contact
SOURCE Royal Canin