Together with Verizon Wireless, Delphi Automotive (NYSE: DLPH) today released its Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi product that provides a groundbreaking car-to-cloud/cloud-to-car connectivity service.
Unveiled at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the product allows drivers to track, locate, access, secure and monitor their select vehicles over the Verizon Wireless network using their current smartphone, tablet or computer. The first-in-its-class product works in most vehicles sold in the United States from 1996 onward.
“For the first time, Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi allows drivers the chance to experience unique telematics and location-based features without purchasing a new car,” said Jeff Owens, Delphi chief technology officer. “Offered together with Verizon Wireless, this product not only offers convenience and connectivity but also peace of mind. For example, drivers can use a smartphone, laptop or tablet as a key fob for their car when they are locked out – regardless of where they are.”
Named a finalist in the 2013 Edison Awards in the transportation category, the Delphi car connectivity service enables drivers to carry out any of the following features remotely:
- Locate and access family cars without having to tag the vehicle's original location
- Monitor overall vehicle health status
- Receive e-mail alerts for select driving and vehicle performance issues
- Set up geo-fences and receive e-mail alerts for entry and exit
- Summarize all trips from engine start to stop (date, times, distance, starting and ending locations)
- Connect your smartphone to your car via Bluetooth for key fob commands