Pervasive Societal Problem Of Distracted Driving Addressed By New Cell Phone Car Mount From Mobio
BOULDER, Colo., March 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Have you ever been distracted while driving - searching for your phone to answer a call, texting at a stoplight, trying to follow a map in traffic? Is smartphone use behind the wheel becoming an international problem? 39 states currently ban texting while driving while only 10 prohibit the use of handheld phones while driving. The reality is, it's easy to support legislation against teen texting and driving, but most adults use their cell phones daily while driving. The statistics tell the story that distracted driving is already a national, if not international problem, but many feel they a have a right to use their cell phones while driving. Cell phone use helps pass the time stuck in traffic, allows more productivity for employees, and allows us to get more done in our time-crunched lives.
- You are 4 times more likely to get into an accident using your phone while driving, and
- You are 23 times more likely to get into an accident if you text while driving www.Distraction.gov
- According to the National Safety Council, www.nsc.org, 23% of all traffic crashes in 2011, or 1.3 million accidents involved cell phone use.
- Those crashes caused 3,331 deaths and another 387,000 injured, according to www.cdc.gov. A CDC study showed that 69% of drivers in the US reported that they had talked on their cell phone driving within the previous 30 days, and 31% had read or sent a text.
- In an NSC survey, a substantial proportion of the people who expressed negative attitudes towards cell phone use while driving actually admitted to doing so themselves.
- In 2012, California police issued 425,041 tickets for talking on handheld phones while driving (CA Highway Patrol)
So, even though we know mobile device use and driving endangers drivers, passengers and others, it's not going to go away, and is getting worse at an alarming rate. Hands-free use helps, but leaving the phone on the driver's lap, on the dashboard, on the passenger seat, or in a cup-holder creates a moving object and an additional distraction for the driver. Whether they are constant-use smartphone users, or the emergency-only type, having their phones in an accessible place in the car, allows drivers to use their smartphones in a responsible and safer manner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV