Won't Somebody Think of the Children?
When it comes to kids in the smartphone era, the survey revealed parents' concerns aren't necessarily what we might think. 44% of respondents with kids 17 and under reported their children had their own smartphones. And what they're most concerned about isn't bullying (3 rd) or sexting (4 th). In fact, parents' primary concern is that their kids will use their devices when they shouldn't, such as late at night or during school. This was followed by worry that the kids will use their phones to look at inappropriate content.
"Consumers are entrusting their mobile devices with their most valuable information, and they seem aware of the problems that a loss or breach of security can cause," says Conrad Edwards, Chief Experience Officer, NQ Mobile. "Still, we're not seeing people taking the level of ACTION they should in order to protect themselves."
For those who want to keep their mobile devices private and prevent malicious intrusions, NQ Mobile offers a few simple tips.
- Lock It Up. Leaving your smartphone unlocked leaves your sensitive information vulnerable to snoopers and thieves. Using the auto-lock capabilities of your device is one of the simplest steps you can take to protect yourself. Take it one step further by setting a short timer. Even if you think it's inconvenient, it's nowhere near as inconvenient as what can happen if you leave your data exposed.
- Share Wisely. Social networking has broadened the definition of "friends" and we are now in the habit of sharing intimate details of our lives with veritable strangers. Don't make it easy for a hacker to gather enough personal information to get access to bank accounts and more. Just like in real life, be careful about what information you share with which social connections. Additionally, remember that once something is posted, it's almost impossible to take it back. What may seem fun in the moment can appear to be a major indiscretion later – and can cost you big in the long run.
- Arm Your Device. You wouldn't run your laptop without anti-virus software or with an outdated operating system. The same sorts of risks jeopardize your mobile device and warrant the same level of precaution. Keep your device tuned up with the most recent firmware from your carrier. Lastly, install reputable security apps that can prevent your private data from getting out and protect against malicious intrusions that may try to get in without your knowledge.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV