LOS ANGELES, March 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Legendary Motown icon and Grammy ® award-winning songwriter, Smokey Robinson, has signed a record deal with Verve Music Group. Robinson was signed to the label by its Chairman, David Foster, to release his 29 th career LP, a special duets album, due out this coming fall. The album will also be guided by highly regarded A&R executive, Jay Landers. In addition, Robinson made a surprise appearance on last night's American Idol where he served as a mentor to the show's contestants. During the broadcast, Idol host Ryan Seacrest brought attention to Robinson's forthcoming album and spotlighted the artist's new project.
"I'm really excited about signing with Verve Music Group to release this upcoming album," said Smokey Robinson. "Not only do I have a musical history with the guys involved, but a longstanding friendship as well. I'm looking forward to bringing our talents to the table as we collaborate on this project."
"From the early 60's to this very day, you can turn on a radio anywhere in the world and hear his music," said David Foster, Verve Music Group Chairman. " Smokey Robinson's contributions to the world of music as a performer, producer and songwriter are nothing short of a 'miracle'. I'm so pleased to welcome Smokey to the Verve Music Group family. We're looking forward to a great collaboration worthy of the legacy of this great label."
The album, which is due out in the fourth quarter of 2013, features Robinson performing his greatest hits alongside a celebrated roster of contemporary and classic artists whose influence will span the depth of Robinson's stellar 50 plus year career. Unlike any other duet-themed project produced to date, this unique album will include hits all written by Robinson, such as all-time favorites: "My Girl," "Cruisin," and "The Tears of a Clown," to name a few.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV