Brussels Conference Defends Role Of Romanian Media In Holding To Account Judiciary
BRUSSELS, March 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
A conference in Brussels has been told the European Commission is guilty of "double standards" by rebuking Romania for allowing its media to criticise the judiciary while at the same time lecturing former Soviet states about the importance of an independent media.
The event Freedom of T he P ress: A T hreat to T he J udiciary was organised by Norica Nicolai, head of the Romanian Liberal delegation to the European Parliament and fellow Romanian Liberal MEP Renate Weber.
It was held in response to a European Commission (EC) Co-operation and Verification Mechanism report which in January accused the Romanian media of "exercising pressure on the judiciary".Ms Nicolai told the conference Wednesday: "It is clear, from the debate, that the Commission's approach regarding the relationship between the press and the judiciary is fundamentally wrong." "We want to make it very clear in Romania as well as in Brussels, that the freedom of the speech will not be decided by the whim of political games," added MEP Renate Weber. The conference, which was held in conjunction with the European Federation of Journalists, heard that Ms Weber will be taking up this issue in May when her report EU Charter: standard settings for media freedom across the EU will be voted on in the European Parliament. "The Commission's interjection and the manner in which it was presented in its progress report is the best justification of my continuous reluctance to support a law regulating the press," added MEP Renate Weber.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV