Martens, Todd & Leonard: Texas Supreme Court Orders Sales Tax Refund On Toys
AUSTIN, Texas, March 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On March 8, 2013, the Texas Supreme Court ordered the Texas Comptroller to refund the hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales tax that Roark Amusement & Vending, L.P. ("Roark") paid on its purchases of the toys that it used to stock its coin-operated amusement crane machines. Roark's machines were located in restaurants, and shopping malls throughout Texas.
Martens, Todd & Leonard represented Roark through the final victory in the Texas Supreme Court. Jimmy Martens argued Roark's case before the trial court, Court of Appeals, and the Texas Supreme Court.
Roark's victory may result in significant refunds for taxpayers who paid Texas sales tax on items they gave to customers with the services they provided. Roark's victory may also result in these taxpayers paying no Texas sales tax on future purchases. While the facts of Roark's case are narrow, the Texas Supreme Court's opinion has potential implications for large numbers of taxpayers.
FactsRoark owned coin-operated amusement crane machines that held toys. A customer could win a toy by skillfully moving a joystick to maneuver a mechanical claw to grab the toy and drop it into a chute. Roark initially paid sales tax when it bought the toys but later sued to get the taxes back. Sales Tax Issue The Texas Supreme Court's opinion broadly holds that anyone who buys property to transfer to a customer as an integral part of a taxable service qualifies for the exemption. Importantly, the Court held that whether the taxpayer actually collects tax on its services doesn't matter to qualify for the exemption. As a result, the opinion may affect potential refund claims by:
- Government contractors;
- Exempt entities service businesses; and
- Agriculture and manufacturing services businesses.
- Life vests, floats, and similar items provided to amusement park patrons;
- Light bulbs, floor wax, toilet paper, and similar items provided to janitorial service customers; and
- Bowling balls and bowling shoes provided to bowling alley customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV