Free Tax Help Is Available If You Look
The IRS offers free in-person federal tax filing too, but with restrictions. You must have an adjusted gross income below $51,000 to qualify. The tax preparation help is usually provided in IRS offices, libraries and colleges around the country. You can find a location at: http://1.usa.gov/11NL73m .
FREE ONLINE FILING:
If you would rather file your taxes yourself, the IRS offers free federal online filing for those with an adjusted gross income under $57,000. The IRS partners with about 15 different websites you can choose from, including H&R Block and TurboTax. Each site will walk you through the filing process step-by-step, but also comes with its own set of restrictions.
To use H&R Block for free, for example, you must make $57,000 or less and be under 52 years old. Go online, at http://1.usa.gov/WWHt74 , to see which free service you may qualify for. Some states also offer free filing too, but you'll have to search online for your state's tax department to determine if it's available and any eligibility requirements.If you have adjusted gross income of more than $57,000, you can file your federal taxes for free, but you'll have to be good with numbers. FreeFile is the electronic version of the IRS paper forms. There's no guidance or assistance, so you'll need to have some understanding of how to file on your own. FreeFile is available online at http://1.usa.gov/10a4DWK . FREE HELP: Got a tax question? The IRS gives out tax law assistance at no cost in its offices around the country. It's available to anyone, regardless of income. You'll need to pop into an IRS office. Try calling ahead to see if you need to make an appointment first, especially as the April 15 tax deadline nears. Go to http://1.usa.gov/YJlmhY to find an IRS office that offers free tax advice.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV