Oil Pulls Back From 5-week High; Pump Price Drops
By The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ The price of oil rose near the end of trading Wednesday, and has now gone up more than $4 in less than a week.
Benchmark oil for May delivery gained 24 cents to close at a five-week high of $96.68 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Oil has gained $4.13, or 4.4 percent, in the last four sessions.
The increase hasn't yet shown up at the gas pump. The average price for a gallon of gas fell a penny to $3.65 a gallon. It's down 5 cents over the past week, and is 25 cents lower than at this time last year.Oil's gains have been driven by strong U.S. economic data. On Thursday, the market gets the final reading on fourth-quarter gross domestic product and the latest weekly reading on claims for unemployment benefits. Brent crude, used to price many kinds of oil imported by U.S. refineries, rose 33 cents to $109.69 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange in London. In other energy futures trading on the Nymex: â¿¿ Wholesale gasoline rose less than a penny to $3.12 a gallon. â¿¿ Heating oil rose 4 cents to $3.04 a gallon. â¿¿ Natural gas advanced by 8 cents to $4.07 per 1,000 cubic feet. ___ Pamela Sampson in Bangkok and Pablo Gorondi in Budapest contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV