JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CSX is a better, faster and more capable company than it was even one year ago, Michael Ward, the company's chairman, president and chief executive officer wrote to investors in the 2012 Annual Report delivered this week.
Last year the company successfully withstood a significant drop in its coal business by making quick adjustments in its operations and focusing on the mainstays of safety, service and productivity.
"Experience has shown that when CSX does those things well, we can turn good conditions into great results, or bad conditions into better results," Ward said, noting that employees led the major U.S. freight railroads in safety last year, drove customer satisfaction levels to all-time highs and delivered productivity savings of nearly $200 million.
Looking forward, the company believes that its key businesses other than coal will outpace the slow, steady growth that is expected in the economy in 2013, Ward said, and there is little reason the economy cannot gain momentum if Congress is able to pass more meaningful legislation to improve the long-term fiscal outlook and restore confidence."Our customers across many industries believe that America is primed for real recovery, and so do we," Ward said. He reiterated CSX's confidence in the long-term outlook for its industry, which is based on a number of important factors:
- The inevitable movement of more freight as the population and its consumption rise;
- The pressing need to deliver freight efficiently between ports and people as global trade continues to build;
- The increasing congestion on the nation's highways, driving freight to rails;
- The re-industrialization of America as the country's efficient labor force and relatively inexpensive energy combine to create cost advantages for local or regional U.S. producers and demand for exports;
- The challenges associated with labor, fuel and other costs at trucking companies, which today are partnering with railroads for longer-haul movements; and
- The nation's need for more environmentally friendly transportation solutions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV