Municipal Art Society Applauds Manhattan Borough President
NEW YORK, March 27, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer took a stand today and recognized what the New Penn Station Alliance led by the Municipal Art Society (MAS) and Regional Plan Association (RPA) have already stated – New York City needs a new Penn Station. In order for that to happen the Borough President recommended – as did the New Penn Station Alliance – that the MSG special permit to operate an arena on top of Penn Station be limited to a 10-year term. This 10-year period gives New York the time to develop a real and workable plan to move the Garden and build a world-class train station. Madison Square Garden has already had four incarnations in New York City and it's time for a fifth.
"Borough President Stringer has shown real leadership on this incredibly important issue. Now it's time for the City Planning Commission and the City Council to stand up and do what's right for New York City. A world class city needs a world class train station – the issue is that simple," said MAS president Vin Cipolla. "Few things would mean more to the economic future of Midtown than a commitment to move this forward."
The Garden sits on top of the most important train station in North America. And, over 50 years, it has become clear that we can't have a world-class train station and a great arena stacked on top of each other. Penn Station was built for a capacity of approximately 200,000 people but now has about 640,000 daily users and growing. In the coming days MAS is launching a design challenge with some of the leading architecture firms in the world to explore what a New Penn Station might look like.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV