BC-US--Business News Digest, US
â¿¿ TV MILENNIAL NETWORK â¿¿ Pivot is the name of a TV channel aimed at 15-to-34-year-olds who want to change the world. In the process, they could help Pivot change the television business.
â¿¿ FREE WIFI CITY â¿¿ The city of Santa Clara flipped on a big Internet switch this week, becoming what it says is the first in the country to use wireless, digital "smart meters" on homes as channels for free citywide outdoor Wi-Fi.
INTERNATIONAL:EUROPE-BUDGET BRUSSELS â¿¿ The European Union's executive arm says it needs 11.2 billion euros ($14.4 billion) in additional funding, mainly to pay outstanding bills from last year. Britain, France, Italy and others will have to find more than a billion euros each at a time when they are trying to trim high deficits through spending cuts or tax raises and their economies are struggling. By Juergen Baetz. AP photo. â¿¿ BRITAIN-BANKS â¿¿ Britain's new banking regulator is recommending that the nation's lenders increase their capital buffers by 25 billion pounds ($37.9 billion) by the end of the year to ensure they can cover potential losses and keep lending in the event of future crises. â¿¿ BRITAIN-PRUDENTIAL â¿¿ Britain's financial services regulator has fined insurer Prudential 30 million pounds (45.5 million) and censured its CEO over its handling of a failed bid to acquire rival AIA in 2010. â¿¿ BRITAIN-FOOD STAMPS â¿¿ Local governments in Britain plan to scrap cash loans and instead issue vouchers for food and other essentials to the poor. â¿¿ PHILIPPINES-CREDIT RATINGâ¿¿ Credit rating agency Fitch Ratings gives the Philippines its first-ever investment grade, allowing the Southeast Asian nation greater access to low-cost funds. â¿¿ CHINA-EARNS-ICBCâ¿¿ ICBC, China's biggest state-owned commercial lender, posted slower profit growth last year as the economy slowed and the government reformed interest rates. GREECE-TROUBLED FERRIES
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV