Miss. Unemployment Rises In February
Mississippi payrolls rose to 1.12 million in February, up from January and from February 2012. Construction was the economic sector showing the biggest percentage job gain in February. Also rising were manufacturing, professional and business services, education and health care, leisure and hospitality and government. Falling were information and trade, transportation and utilities. Financial service jobs were flat.
The broadest measure of those who are unemployed averaged 15.1 percent in Mississippi during 2012, the most recent figures available. That number includes people who are looking for work only sporadically, have given up looking or are working part time because they can't find a full-time job.
Nationwide, that broad measure averaged 14.7 percent during the same time.
Rankin County's 6.2 percent remained the lowest jobless rate. Tunica County maintained the highest unemployment rate at 20.1 percent. Of the state's 82 counties, 54 had jobless rates higher than a year ago, and 59 had rates higher than the state average.County-level rates aren't adjusted to cancel out predictable seasonal changes. ___ Follow Jeff Amy at: http://twitter.com/jeffamy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV