JANA Comments On Agrium's ISS Complaints: "More Of The Same"
ISS Recommends that Agrium Shareholders Vote the BLUE Proxy
Further Information Available at www.JANAAguAnalysis.com
NEW YORK, NY, March 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - JANA Partners LLC today released the following statement in response to attacks by Agrium Inc. ("Agrium") (TSX / NYSE: AGU) on leading proxy advisory services firm Institutional Shareholder Services ("ISS"), which today stated that JANA had made a "compelling" case for change at Agrium and which strongly endorsed JANA nominees Barry Rosenstein and David Bullock for election to Agrium's board of directors.
"This is more of the same from Agrium's board, attacking anyone who dares to challenge them, making unfounded assertions, and claiming to speak for shareholders when they don't like what they are hearing from them. The truth, while not to Agrium's liking, is still quite clear:
- The fact is that Agrium called out the cavalry last week to pressure the proxy advisory firms and found only 3% of the shares willing to speak up for them, including a shareholder who had already voiced support for them seven months ago. That is less than half of the shares we own, much less anything close to a decisive percentage.
- Their claims about the opinions of the Canadian corporate governance community are equally unfounded, as they cite the same three governance commentators from weeks ago, two of whom are still consultants for corporate boards and one of whom is still wrong on the facts. We have spoken to several Canadian governance experts in recent days to better understand Agrium's claims, and it is highly clear that the company is seeking to use recommended guidelines which have no applicability to this situation as a battering ram to try to win a proxy contest. Good governance demands better.
- Two of the other three proxy advisory services they attempt to throw into the mix have negligible, if any, influence in this situation. Agrium also lists a number of arguments they claim ISS failed to consider, when, in fact, ISS considered those arguments and simply disagreed with Agrium's conclusions. We also note that despite Agrium's attack on ISS today, just a few years ago Agrium praised ISS when the independent advisory firm issued a favorable recommendation for Agrium in its hostile pursuit of CF Industries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV