BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Chevrolet Corvette, and the folks at auto-buying site Edmunds.com recently honored the iconic sports car's birthday by naming the greatest Corvettes ever produced.
"The Corvette has always been one of the fastest cars you can buy, yet it costs less than the Jaguars and Ferraris that can run with it," Edmunds Editor-in-Chief Scott Oldham says. "It offers a lot of performance per dollar and it's sexy looking -- that's been its formula for success for the past 60 years."
Oldham says he and a panel of other Edmunds editors and outside experts picked the best 'Vettes ever by focusing on models that moved the auto industry forward.
"We wanted to choose Corvettes that advanced vehicle technology or set new standards for automobile design," he says.The expert adds that judges also focused on models "that have stood the test of time" among Corvette fans, in some cases trading for $1 million or more among collectors. "Some Corvettes are even more desirable now than when they were new," Oldham says. Here's a look at the five models that Edmunds' panel chose as the "Best Corvettes of All Time."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV