3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: March 27
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Franchises continue to grow faster than independent businesses. Franchised businesses will continue to grow at a slightly faster rate than other businesses in terms of job creation, new business formation, economic output and GDP contribution, according to the International Franchise Association's first-quarter update to its economic outlook for franchising.
According to the update, the outlook hasn't changed much from the IFA's initial 2013 forecast released in December.
The IFA amended its industry forecast slightly in the latest report:
- New U.S. franchised establishments will rise by 1.3% in 2013 vs. 1.4% originally predicted;
- Franchises will add 156,000 jobs this year to a total of 8.2 million, up 1.9% from 2012, but slightly lower than the 2% originally predicted;
- Output from franchises will rise 4.2% to $802 billion in 2013, down from the 4.3% initially forecast;
- The gross domestic product of the franchise sector is projected to rise 4% to $472 billion, down from the 4.1% initially forecast for 2013 and lower than the 4.6% growth in 2012. This is approximately 3.4% of U.S. GDP in nominal dollars.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV