Backers of the San Jose, Calif., company include Intel Capital, Apax Partners LLP, TempoPark Fund, CTI Capital and Smac Partners Gmbh.
There are also a number of public companies. Israeli tech company Allot Communications Ltd. provides deep packet inspection services. It is publicly traded and has a $412 million market cap.
Waterloo, Ontario-based Sandvine Corp. has revenue of C$87.9 million and a C$276 million market cap. Tibco Software Inc. of Palo Alto, Calif., offers policy control services, amid much broader offerings.
Procera Networks Inc. of Fremont, Calif., generated $60 million in 2012 revenue. The company has a $242 million market capitalization, and had $132 million in cash at the end of 2012. Procera agreed to buy deep packet inspection company Vineyard Networks Inc. in January.It is not that every company providing policy control or deep packet inspection is a target. Many of the companies involved in the market have an array of services. "Finding someone you can combine with, where there is not a lot of overlap, can be a challenge," Cooperson said. With the deals by Oracle, Cisco and Procera, and growth in online video and mobile broadband, activity will remain high.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV