WASHINGTON, March 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the analytic data solutions company, announced today that Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) (NYSE: PCG), one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States, has selected Teradata as the foundation for their new Interval Data Analytics (IDA) environment. IDA will enable PG&E's business users to flexibly analyze smart meter data using visualization and data mining tools, and in the future to support external customer access. PG&E's goal is to leverage their investment in nearly ten million electric and natural gas smart meters by using the data generated to better support their customers and operations.
This decision is the culmination of an extensive evaluation by PG&E's technical and business teams. The process included many months of research, reference calls, and a detailed proof of concept. PG&E acquired a Teradata 2700 Data Warehouse Appliance system, along with the Teradata Utility Logical Data Model, professional services, and education.
After a detailed evaluation and comparison of competing data warehouse systems and a proof of concept, PG&E chose Teradata."Because of our established SmartMeter network, we have a large volume of new data that gives us unprecedented insight into our grid," said Michael Glass, PG&E Director of Information Technology. "Leveraging Teradata with our other enterprise systems will enable the next level of analytics around that SmartMeter data set, and create additional insights and value for both customers and operations." New technologies and evolving regulations are transforming the utility industry, bringing new sources of data and demands for more information, from the enterprise to the customer. The business intelligence gathered from data has become an effective tool for decision making.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV