KBW analyst Sanjay Sakhrani late on Tuesday said in a report, "we view today's announcement as a positive for [American Express] as the addition of FDIC insurance strengthens the value proposition of the Bluebird product and likely intensifies competition given it was previously a point of differentiation between incumbent players such as [Green Dot (GDOT)] and American Express.
Of course, the availability of funds at Walmart stores is another point of differentiation for Bluebird.
"Given the uncertainty around how the new prepaid industry dynamics will play out, we would continue to remain on the sidelines for the incumbent prepaid players," Sakhrani wrote.
Sakhrani rates American Express "outperform," with a $70 price target. Shares of American Express $67.15 on Wednesday.The analyst rates Green Dot "market perform," with a $12 price target. Green Dot's shares closed Wednesday at $16.53. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV