Regency Centers (NYSE:REG), a national owner, operator and developer of grocery-anchored and community shopping centers, increased its annual energy savings by 75 percent, achieved LEED® certification for three projects and tripled the amount of construction and demolition material recycled in 2012. These sustainability improvements are just three of the metrics illustrating the company’s ongoing commitment to reduce the environmental impact of developing and operating shopping centers through its greengenuity® program.
“We believe our commitment to greengenuity leads to better risk management and cost savings, improves our communities, encourages innovation and is in the best interest of our shareholders,” said Mark Peternell, vice president of sustainability for Regency Centers. “Our 2012 performance metrics are the strongest yet in our ongoing effort to be responsible stewards of natural and economic resources.”
Regency measures its greengenuity progress through steady improvement in five key areas: green building certification, energy efficiency, water conservation, renewable energy and waste reduction.
Included is an infographic representing Regency’s sustainability achievements during the past four years. 2012 highlights include:
- Three development and redevelopment projects achieved LEED certification, plus half of new starts are seeking the LEED designation
- Energy-efficient lighting projects saved 3.6 million kilowatt hours of electricity, a 75 percent increase over prior year
- Water savings stayed consistent at 106 million gallons through smart water management practices
- Installed company’s first solar energy system at a Boston-area shopping center which generated 296,000 kilowatt hours of renewable energy for the year
- More than 13,522 tons of construction debris was reused or recycled, a 354 percent improvement over 2011.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts