By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK - The bulls piled on Tuesday into Halcon Resources (HK), an independent energy company operating onshore in the United States.
optionMONSTER's tracking programs detected a surge of activity in the January 2015 12 calls, mostly for $1.10. Almost 22,000 contracts changed hands against previous open interest of just 2,607. The May 8 calls were also bought early for as little as 20 cents and then doubled to more than 50 cents as the shares climbed. That gives an idea of the kind of leverage that can be achieved with options.
It works because calls only lock in a right to buy shares, rather than real ownership. It costs little to establish the position, so even a modest fluctuation in the underlying stock price can result in big profits -- like we saw with the May 8s.Halcon was trading for about $7.40 when the options hit, and then shot as high as $7.74 before closing Tuesday's session up 5.51% to $7.66. It peaked around $12 in early 2012. The company is the latest of many domestic U.S. energy companies to draw bullish activity in recent sessions. Tuesday also saw call-buying in Nabors Industries, while Oneok Partners and Energy Transfer lit up our scanners on Monday. Total option volume in HK was 11 times greater than average. Calls outnumbered puts by more than 10-1. Russell has no positions in Halcon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV